Making Waves Academy conducts a lottery for the incoming fifth grade class. State law requires a lottery be held to determine enrollment whenever requests by students to enroll in a charter school exceed the capacity of the school. Based on our experience, the applicant pool has ranged between 250 and 400 applicants for the 112 fifth grade places available each year.
To be eligible for Making Waves Academy’s student enrollment lottery, students must currently be in the fourth grade. Completed applications must be submitted to the Academy Office before the lottery application deadline (6:15 pm, Friday, March 10, 2017).
If you are interested in attending Making Waves Academy, you may pick-up a lottery application in the Academy Office starting on January 9, 2017, call the Academy at (510)-262-1511 to request one be mailed to you, or click here.
Listed below are groups given priority for enrollment through the lottery process as stated and approved in our charter:
- Current fourth grade students who are siblings of students who have been or are enrolled in the Making Waves Academy or Making Waves Education Program. A sibling is defined as a biological/adoptive sibling, step sibling, or foster child residing within the same household
- Fourth grade students who are currently enrolled in Title I schools in the West Contra Costa Unified School District, and/or qualify as Title I individually due to eligibility for Free or Reduced Price Meals while residing in the West Contra Costa Unified School District attendance area
- Current fourth grade non-sibling and non-Title I students who attend other schools in the West Contra Costa Unified School District
- All remaining current fourth grade (non-sibling and non-Title I) students not attending West Contra Costa Unified School District schools and attending other schools in California
Please note, all students who are not selected in the first 112 openings will be placed onto a numerically ordered wait list. In the event a space becomes available, you will be notified directly by our staff.
- Lottery Information Sessions are held in the Middle School Library
- The Lottery Selection event will be held in the Upper School multi-purpose room and anyone is welcome to attend. A student's presence is not required to be selected; all pertinent information will be mailed to the address provided on the application.
To view the Making Waves Academy lottery flier, click here.
To view the Making Waves Academy lottery letter, click here.