Supporting Making Waves Academy's (MWA) efforts can take the form of volunteering to support activities, initiatives, and events. Volunteers play an important and valuable role at our school. Students, teachers, staff, parents, and the community all benefit from the work of individuals like you who give of your time and talents. We know that you will benefit from this experience as well.
MWA Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Classroom assistance
- School/classroom events like career fairs and field trips
- Before/After-school programs
- Non-classroom (main office, library/media center, etc.) assistance
- Yard or Playground supervision
- Arrival/Dismissal support/supervision
- Food Service
All volunteers are required to read and complete a “Volunteer Handbook and Application.” Regular volunteers* will be subject to an initial Department of Justice Live Scan, which will remain active for the duration of their child’s enrollment at MWA; all volunteers will be subject to screening against national databases for sex offenders, the conviction of a controlled substance and a serious or violent felony upon every arrival. No volunteer shall be assigned to supervise or instruct students unless the applicant has submitted evidence of a TB Risk Assessment within the past 60 days (to determine that the applicant is free of active tuberculosis) in compliance with CA Education Code section 49406. Volunteers who are found to be free of infectious TB shall, after that, be required to have a TB Risk Assessment every four years.
* “Regular Volunteers”, means a volunteer with the school who is 18 years of age or older and who has direct contact with children for more than 16 hours per month or 32 hours per year.
* “Guest/Irregular Volunteers", means a volunteer with the school who is 18 years of age or older and who has direct contact with children for less than 16 hours per month or 32 hours per year. This classification is not subject to the Department of Justice LiveScan requirement.
Acceptance as a volunteer is based on factors including, but not limited to:
- No requirement to register as a sex offender or record of being a registered sex offender, as verified by regular mandatory on-site screening against national sex offender databases.
- No record of a serious or violent felony conviction (pursuant to Ed Code 45122.1) or history of child abuse under California law (Penal Code 290), as verified by Live Scan fingerprinting clearance from the Department of Justice, for Regular Volunteers* only
- A completed “Volunteer Application Form” on file.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance (Risk Assessment or Skin Test)
- Positive attitude; interest in and enthusiasm for working with children
- Ability to work cooperatively with school personnel and participate regularly
- Good communication skills, health, and personal hygiene; ethical conduct; dependability.
School policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, marital status, sex, religion, age, disability, or any other protected status as defined by federal, state, or local law.
To get started, please fill out the “Volunteer Interest Form”. After completing the interest form, we will follow up with you regarding next steps. (Para inscribirse, porfavor llene el "Formulario de interés para padres voluntarios". Después de completar el formulario de interés, nosotros nos pondremos en contacto con usted para informarle de los siguientes pasos.)
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact the front office at 510-262-1511.