This is a very exciting year for Making Waves Academy as we are expanding to accept more students than in previous years. While we wish we could admit all of the students and families interested in attending the Academy, we have the following opportunities for admission:
- One hundred and sixty-eight (168) - 5th grade student openings for fall 2018
- Fifty six (56) 6th grade student openings for fall 2018
- Applicants to 7th and 8th grade will be placed on the waitlist for the 2018-2019 school year and will be called upon, in order, if a spot opens up
Whenever requests by students to enroll in a California charter school exceed enrollment capacity of the school, California Charter School law requires a lottery to determine enrollment.Based on the experiences at MWA, we are preparing to conduct a lottery to determine the enrollment for the fall of 2018.
The lottery application is available online at www.enrollwcc.schoolmint.net. At the “Enroll WCC” website, you can apply to MWA and to a number of other West Contra Costa charter schools. Please make sure to check the box for “Making Waves Academy” on the appropriate page. Please fill out the application completely and submit by Friday, February 16, 2018.
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 7:00pm we will hold the public lottery to determine the students who will enter MWA Middle School in the fall 2018. According to our charter, names will be drawn in the following order:
- Students who are siblings of students who are currently enrolled at Making Waves Academy. [A sibling is defined as a biological/adoptive sibling, step sibling, or foster child residing within the same household]
- Students who are children of Making Waves Academy employees. Making Waves Academy employees refers to full-time faculty and staff who, by December of their second year, will have been a full-time employee at Making Waves Academy for at least 12 months
- Students who are eligible for Free and Reduced Price Meal ("FRPM") who reside within West Contra Costa Unified School District attendance boundaries
- All other students eligible for FRPM who reside within Contra Costa County
- All other students who reside in the West Contra Costa Unified School District attendance boundaries
- All other eligible applicants
Please note, all students who are not selected for one of the available openings will be placed onto a numerically ordered wait list. In the event a space becomes available, you will be notified directly by our staff.
- 11/1/2017– Lottery Application Window Opens
- 11/4/2017, 11:45am – Lottery Kickoff Brunch and Informational – Middle School Library
- 11/14/2017, 5:30pm – Informational and ELAC Meeting – Multi-Purpose Room
- 12/2/2017, 11:45am – Informational and Parent Meeting – Multi-Purpose Room
- 1/16/2018, 5:30pm – Informational and ELAC Meeting – Middle School Library
- 1/24/2018, 5:30pm – Informational and National School Choice Week – Middle School Library
- 2/8/2018, 5:30pm – Informational and School Site Council Meeting – Middle School Library
- 2/16/2018 – Application Deadline
- 3/8/2018, 7:00pm – Lottery Selection
- At all enrollment events, we will have computers and Making Waves Academy staff on hand to help families submit applications
- The Lottery Selection event will be held in the Upper School Multi-Purpose Room and anyone is welcome to attend. A student's presence is not required to be selected; all pertinent information will be mailed to the address provided on the application
To view the Making Waves Academy lottery letter, click here.