Making Waves Academy (MWA) is a unique community comprised of a variety of stakeholders. One of the signature aspects of this community is the pride that Wave-Makers and their families take in being part of MWA. This is evident in our high levels of parent engagement, student achievement, attendance, the breadth and frequency of school-wide events and activities, and the sportsmanship we display in interscholastic athletics.
As a public charter school, we seek different ways to address being able to offer our holistic and college-readiness approach. Our core program consists of several key features that include:
- Psychological Support – MWA provides clinical psychological services by trained clinicians and site-based social workers.
- Social Emotional Development – Students and adults are trained and supported in decision-making and self-management skills and practices through a set of research-based curriculum and strategies. Some are developed proactively through developing efficacy in 5 domains, including the Dream Concept (the student identifying and nurturing their hopes and dreams for their lives). Others are developed to help students work through conflict through our Restorative Practices Program.
- Academic Intervention and Support – MWA offers tiered intervention strategies that consists of the use of technology tools and intervention programming and support for our students, and training for our faculty and staff.
- Technology integration and Accessibility – MWA invests in supporting a 21st century learning environment that offers technology tools and collaborative spaces that support students to engage in learning in different ways. This investment includes 1:1 devices for all students, laptops for all faculty, hardware infrastructure, and software for faculty, staff, and students that is accessible throughout the campus.
- College & Career Counseling & Support – The MWA College and Career Counseling office supports students in identifying their dreams for themselves, the lifestyle they think they want to have, and their career goals to help them develop a college application approach that is aligned to their dreams, life, and career goals. Through generous philanthropic support, students are supported to explore visits to colleges and other activities to help them learn more about various types of colleges (public and private) and programs.
- Professional Development – MWA invests in professional development for our faculty and staff in the areas of instruction, supervision, and cultural competency also support students in meeting their academic and life goals.
- Nutrition – All students qualify and receive nutritious meals and snacks throughout the day that are free to ALL students.
- Transportation – MWA provides transportation services to help families get to and from school.
Your support through direct financial donations and/or volunteering at the school will help us continue to provide a comprehensive program that puts our Wave-Makers on a successful road to colleges, careers, and opportunities that will allow them to fulfill their hopes and dreams.
Thank you in advance for your support.
Alton B. Nelson, Jr., Ed.M.
MWA Chief Executive Officer